|1834-||£20, £10, £5, £1|
|1859-69||£20, £10, £5, £1|
|1876-89||£20, £10, £5, £1|
|1893-1910||£10, £5, £1|
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney was established on 24 October, 1834, along similar lines to the Bank of New South Wales. The first branch opened one week later in Bridge Street Sydney. The company traded with the shortened name - The Commercial Bank of Sydney.
During the period from 1834 to 1910, the bank issued notes with a number of different designs.
|One share of the bank's Capital Stock, dated 11 February 1836, is shown at left. The company was prosperous from the start and suffered only one major reversal when it was forced to suspend payments following a run on deposits during the financial crisis of 1893. After restructure, the bank made a rapid recovery.|
The bank merged with the Bank of Victoria Limited in 1927 and then the National Bank of Australia in 1981 which was reconstituted in 1983 as the National Australia Bank, cornerstone of the National Australia Banking Group Limited.
In 1911, the bank was one of 16 banks who supplied blank note forms to the Australian Government. These notes were superscribed as redeemable in gold and issued as the first Commonwealth notes.
Website Design by AG Photography & Design
Material by Coinweb, Copyright © 2001-07 Australian Stamp & Coin
Co Pty. Ltd. Last modified: 05 December, 2007